Sunday, May 26, 2013

Scripture Power


"….Scripture Power keeps me safe from sin, scripture power is the power to win...Scripture power, every day I need, the POWER THAT I GET EACH TIME I REEEEEEAAADDD!" 

Anyone else know this song? Careful, it’s pretty catchy! If you do know it, I apologize for it being suck in your head the rest of the day :P

Well, when I posted that post about packing and such I realized just how nervous and anxious it makes me feel being subject to the judgment of people I don’t even know. This kind of stuff REALLY scares me, and I didn't realize it until I saw how many people read that post! 

What did I just dooo!? hahahaha! 
I guess I better get over that. After all, my sister and I are running for President/Vice President in the 2032 Election…


for real though.

One of the BIGGEST weakness I have is allowing myself to be vulnerable (which is a little ironic I think) and it's probably something I should learn to be ok with….eventually.

The mission is definitely going to teach me and help me along with that.

People are going to have strong feelings about what I’m doing and what I stand for. They’re either gonna love me or hate me.


Sooooo I guess that’s why I decided maybe now would be a good time to start peeling back some layers. 

Lets just reminisce on this scene for a second:

Shrek: For your information, there's a lot more to ogres than people think.
Donkey: Example?
Shrek: Example... uh... ogres are like onions!
[holds up an onion, which Donkey sniffs]
Donkey: They stink?
Shrek: Yes... No!
Donkey: Oh, they make you cry?
Shrek: No!
Donkey: Oh, you leave 'em out in the sun, they get all brown, start sproutin' little white hairs...
Shrek: [peels an onion] NO! Layers. Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.
[walks off]
Donkey: Oh, you both have LAYERS. Oh. You know, not everybody like onions. What about cake? Everybody loves cake!
Shrek: I don't care what everyone else likes! Ogres are not like cakes.

SO FUNNY. I love Shrek. 

Anyway. People have layers too. Lots-a layer! So People = Ogres = Onions
Moral of the story: Wear deodorant, because you'll stink if ya don't! 


I crack myself up.   Really, I do.

ANYWAY

One of my favorite things to do is look at other people’s scriptures; see how they mark, what they write, and what they keep there. It’s the safest and best place to store all those little things that really mean the most, whether they be thoughts or pictures; it’s like a little peek into the heart.


I got my set of scriptures the day I was baptized. September 1, 2001. They belonged to my mom, I’m pretty sure that my dad gave them to her. She offered them to my two older sisters when they were baptized, but both opted for a fresh new set of their own.

So I got them. A maroon mini quad with a snap on the front.
Small, simple, and sentimental.


                                       




When I got them there were only a few highlighted scriptures. Buuuuuuttt after 11 years, seminary, institute, and all my personal study it’s safe to say they've gone through a LOT.


The least merciful of them being my primary years.
Kinda cute though...right? haha

I think we all went through a phase where we thought that highlighting every single verse read  was a REALLY good idea.

...am I right?? 

Well it happened to me. FOR SURE.

I had fun.

Sometimes I feel like an archaeologist looking though my scriptures, I can tell exactly what time of life I was in when I  highlighted each scripture because of the coloring job or what kind of pen, pencil, or crayon was used to do the job.




My horrible spelling and handwriting from those tender Primary years reminds me that I wasn't always perfect while the worn pages and inkblots from the pens that I use now remind me that, at least in this life, I never will be ;)
Yep..Thats GLITTER over that scripture!!! I only use glitter to mark the most special verses ;)
Let your light so shine! 
That last bit of Moroni. It's the best. I like it. 
Stickers, the "coloring pages", pictures, quotes, the Brasil Flag by my mission scripture.
A well loved set of scriptures! 



I keep a lot of pictures in my scriptures.
At the top is a copy of my mission call and patriarchal blessing
shrunken up to fit the baby sized scriptures that I have. 

At the back I keep sticky tabs, and a Rick’s Ready Reference. It’s amazing!

I love being able to search for a topic on my pone and get a whole list of scriptures almost instantly. Well, we don’t get that luxury on the mission, but this little black book is the best substitute!
Gotta have the Pokemon card too! 

Behind that I keep some letters, one from my Uncle Lucky who passed away a few years ago and another from a close friend (which shares an envelope with my patriarchal blessing and some notes from my old roommate and her husband.)




I used to keep a hymn book back there too, but it stressed out the case so much that I have it separate now. The outside pocket is filled with pictures of my family and random quotes from different lessons. 

So yeah. That has been your special tour of my scriptures! I'm excited to have them with me on my mission and to learn to love them even more!! 

It might be time to retire them when I get back though. I don't know that there will be ANY blank pages by then!! 

3 comments:

  1. This was such an AWESOME post, Olivia! Thanks for sharing. Seriously, I just want to grab my scriptures and start perusing through them. I really, really enjoyed that. And we miss you. :-) Love, love, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were my first (quad) scriptures, Livy, and I bought them for myself long before your Dad was baptized. I was so happy when you said you wanted them, and so so glad they have served you so long and so well.

    And the green highlights in Alma 32 and in Luke 12:32? Those are mine. I hope you go out and plant many seeds of faith and hope in this world.

    Mama ♥

    ReplyDelete